We have hopes and dreams that we hope to achieve one day but there is something holding us back. Each time we try to step forward we start to second guess ourselves and then we are stuck again. The thing that is holding us back is the biggest dream killer fear.
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.‘ Eleanor Roosevelt
Fear will cripple you when it comes to achieving your dreams, Can you relate to this. When you look up the meaning of fear this is what you will see: an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. So you may ask what is the fear or danger of me achieving my goals. As I am looking at the meaning of fear, I am thinking to myself” why am I so afraid of putting myself out there”. The true fear is real and it will let you doubt yourself and feel as if nothing you do is ever good enough. We will talk about some areas in your life where fear plays a critical role:
You will be so afraid of rejection that you will not want to go after your dreams. Feeling so terrified to pitch your ideas to others, can make you lose out on great opportunities. I have instances where I want to ask someone to buy something from me and I did not because I feared rejection.
Do not be afraid of rejection if you hear 5 no, keep going, you never know when you will get that yes. Rejection is a natural part of life so learn to deal with it. Here are 3 tips to deal with rejection:
- Do not take it too personally, especially when it comes to business; maybe your idea or product is just not the right fit for their business
- Take the positive out of the rejection, listen to the reasons the person gave as to why they are not interested in what you have to offer and fix what needs to be fixed.
- Do not give up, I promise all this rejection will make you stronger if you keep going. Each time you get a rejection, just remember all the nice things you must achieve in life; the car, the dream house for mom, and the fabulous vacations…
Now, this can really mess you up!! As an example look at me I am a brand new blogger and let me tell you sometimes when I hear and see the other bloggers success I will start to compare my journey to theirs, I can remember one I read about in a group I am in, she was sharing her wins and I felt a little jealous in a moment, because I am nothing near to what she is doing; then I had to remind myself that everyone’s journey is not the same. keep focus and do what you need to do to get to where you want to be. Above all do not compare yourself to one. How to stop comparing yourself to others:
- Focus on what you are good at
- Tell yourself that you are unique, because there is only one of you
- As soon as you start comparing yourself to others stop yourself right away and remember all the things that are going great for you.
In addition, when you doubt yourself, you will not go after your dreams. everything you do you will second guess yourself or you just don’t try because as far as you are concern it is too hard for you. Look here, nothing is impossible, it might be hard, yes but you can do it. When you do not believe in yourself it is very dangerous to your dreams. So this is what you are going to do
- Listen to a motivational podcast, this will let you see how valuable you are, try to do this every morning
- Pray about your fears
- Journal, every morning before you go out into the world, write down 5 things you are grateful for
- Celebrate your wins, no matter how small.
Besides if you are fearful you will not be motivated to go after your dreams. If you are not motivated you will accomplish nothing. fear the dream killer will surely demotivate you. Here is an article with a lot of wonderful tips to get you motivated Strategies On How To Stay Motivated
Hence if you are not motivated you cannot be productive. Fear will let you become so anxious about all that can go wrong that you will not have the time to do what you need to do to achieve your goals. Tips to be productive
- Make a to-do list every day, starting with the most important task
- List all the goals you want to achieve, start with the smallest because it is the small goals that you accomplish that will make you into a big success
- Focus on one goal at a time, do not try to achieve too much at one time, you will get frustrated.
- Make sure the small goals are in relation to your bigger goals. For instance, if you want to be a doctor don’t do a sewing course go and do a biology course. Be very clear on what you need to do to get to where you want to go.
Stay away from negative people
Please! Please! Stay away from people who do not believe in you. People like that will demotivate you. Toxic people are dream killers!! Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage you and lift you up when you are down. If you must be in the presence of toxic people, when they are talking about the negative trash, block them from your mind. Go to a happy place in your mind. Do not tell negative people anything about your goals and dreams. So this is why you need to believe in yourself so that when negative people are talking foolishness you know that you can achieve anything you want in life, so long as you are willing to do the work.
- Fear the dream killer will let you be so afraid of criticism that you will not even try. This is what I always say, those who are going to talk about you negatively will do it whether you are wasting time or making use of your time. So I say when they are talking, make sure you are on your way to success. However when you get constructive criticism to learn from it and move on, do not take it as a personal attack, this is how you will grow by learning from your mistakes. Know this about people who criticize you just to be mean.
- They are jealous of you
- They feel inferior to you
- They are unhappy with who they are
- A lot of time they are hurting
So just know that when toxic people criticize you, it has nothing to do with you, so just ignore them.
Identify what your fears are and how they affect your life and take the appropriate actions to get over your fears.
Ask yourself these questions:
Do I fear failure?
Do I fear success? Yes some of us are afraid of success.
It takes time to overcome your fears; it is not an overnight fix if you really want to overcome your fears you will find away.
However, remember one shoe does not fit all; what might work for me might not work for you. So use trial and error to figure out what will work best for you. Sometimes you might have to seek professional help, reaching your goals is so much more important than just giving up.
You must get over fear the dream killer so that you can reach your full potential. After you get over being fearful you will be so much more confident and happy, Thirteen Mantras to Increase Your Happiness YOU will not shy away from challenges.
Related Reading https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/fear.htm